Metabolic syndrome is defined as a collection of several risk factors that increase your chances of developing heart diseases and diabetes. It is also known as insulin resistance syndrome, Syndrome X, and dysmetabolic syndrome. This condition is common in people with
- Central obesity (that is, increased fat in the waist/abdomen)
- High blood pressure and blood sugar
- Abonormal cholesterol or triglyceride levels
- Other diseases (such as polycystic ovary syndrome, sleep apnea, etc.)
What are the Possible Causes of Metabolic Syndrome?
Metabolic syndrome can be directly linked to obesity or constant inactivity. It is also caused by insulin resistance, a condition in which the cells don’t respond to insulin normally, preventing the access of glucose into the cells. This can lead to a rise in blood sugar levels even if the body churns out more insulin to lower blood sugar.
Yes, it can be cured by tackling one risk factor at a time. The key to curing metabolic syndrome is regular exercise and weight loss, both of which will work together to improve your body’s insulin response while lowering blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
Unless there is significant damage to the blood vessels, heart, and other organs, metabolic syndrome can be reversed. Here are some ways to reverse metabolic syndrome:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Eat a healthy diet
- Avoid sugary drinks, unhealthy fat, and alcohol
- Engage in physical activity
- Be aware of genetic dispositions, that is, your family’s history of metabolic syndrome (if any), and take preventive measures in advance
At Pinnacle Healthcare Services, our team of licensed healthcare professionals led by Dr.Kurwa Nyjgu specializes in metabolic syndrome treatment. We are ranked among the best metabolic syndrome treatment centers in Alexandria, VA. Contact us today to learn more!